The Mission of the Canton Land Conservation Trust is to acquire, preserve, and protect land of scenic, natural or historic value within the Town of Canton; to maintain this land and its plant and animal life using the best conservation, wildlife habitat, and forestry practices available; and to promote public awareness, understanding, and enjoyment of the land.
Silent Auction contributors (contributions):
See the full list.
- West Street Wines (Bottle of Red and Bottle of White)
- Petals and Paws (Basket of goodies)
- Mikado's Asian Bistro (Gift Certificate)
- Collinsville Savings Bank (Underwriter)
- Canton Clayworks (Ceramic Art Work)
- Hickory Ledges (Fruit Basket)
- Gail Deutsch (Photo Journal--Trees)
- Welden Hardware (2 gallons of Valspar paint)
- Ted Cowles (2 Quarts Home Made Maple Syrup)
- Super Cellar Warehouse Liquors (Private wine Tasting )
- Moto Photo (Gift Certificate for portrait)
- David Sinish (Paddleboard Lesson)
- Orvis Stores (Farmington River Fishing Expedition)
- Cherrybrook Pizzeria (gift certificate)
- Trader Joe's (Bag of Goodies)
- Rootz Salon (Gift Certificate)
- Boston Red Sox (Matt Barnes Autographed Baseball)
- Avon Veterinary Clinic (Underwriter)
- Raime Weber (Silver Key Ring w/Ginko Leaf Charm)
- Infinity Music Hall (2 concert tickets)
- Roaring Brook Nature Center (Two Concert Tickets)
- Avon Prime Meats (Dinner for 2)
- Jay Kaplan (Bird Walk)
- Shoprite ($100 Gift Certificate and $100 Imported Basket )
- Saybrook Fish House (Gift certificate)
- Harvey & Lewis (Maui Jim Sunglasses)
- Gresczyk Farm Stand (Gift Certificate)
- Midas Auto Service (2 oil changes)
- Sarah Faulkner (Framed Antique Quilt)
- Carol & Co. (Large Trivet with Map of Collinsville)
- Polsky Sports and Entertainment (Red Sox and Patriots Memoribilia)
- Miller Traig Feibel Nature Endowment Fund (Underwriter)
- Quercibella Wood-Grilled Foods & Flatbreads ($75 Gift Certificate)
- Sarah Faulkner (6 Home Grown Tomato Plants)
Annual Dinner - March 21 at La Trattoria - RSVP by March 7!
The guest speaker this year is Ms. Anne C. Hall PhD, Connecticut Land Use, Architectural and Engineering Historian. Her topic: "Digging Up History at the Mary Conklin Preserve." Anne led the archaeological dig at the Mary Conklin Preserve last fall and she will present her findings in the context of the fascinating history of that property, of our town, and of our region.
Silent auction / cash bar at 6:00pm
Dinner at 7:00pm
Program at 8:00pm
Archaeology at the Mary Conklin Sanctuary
Last October we explored the foundation of a former barn once used as part of the Town of Canton's poor farm. Pictures of that activity now appear in our Photo Gallery.
Moonlight Hike - held Feb. 11, 5:30 - 8:30pm - Wonderful weather conditions and another year of great turnout - thank-you to everyone who attended and to everyone who volunteered!
Christmas Tree Sale - The Smith Tree Farm continued its revitalization with a successful tree sale on Saturday, Dec. 3rd. Thanks to all who came out in support. Many found success!
New England Cottontail Cut Completed at Sun, Wind and Woodland
The forestry work has been completed and we have now reopened the Sun, Wind and Woodland Preserve to the public. The cut was intentionally left "messy" with brush piles and slash left behind to provide cover for small mammals and to protect tree seedlings by discouraging deer browse. We look forward to seeing the cut rapidly change as it develops into the brushland habitat needed by New England Cottontails and many species of birds.
While the area is no longer closed, we urge people to stay out of the newly cut area. Please feel free to use the Sun, Wind, and Woodland On the eastern edge of the project, and the unmarked trail on the southwest border of the project. In addition to brush piles which might not be stable, the project deliberately leaves slash on the ground throughout the cut area. This material helps prevent erosion, encourages regrowth, and discourages deer from browsing on the new growth. It is deliberately difficult to walk through, so we urge people to stick to the trails.
For more information and pictures of the forestry work please visit our Photo Gallery